Monday, July 4, 2011

Brewing a bach of Hydra at home

Today I finally had an opportunity to brew my clone batch of the Hydra Ale I helped brew at Great River Brewing on Big Brew Day the first Saturday of May.  The day we brewed we all went home with an all grain recipe so we could brew it ourselves, since I do not do all grain I had to modify the recipe to an extract version. Needless to say I am hoping that this extract version will turn out close to some of the all grain versions I have had so far.  I look forward to a few weeks down the road to taste the final product. 

The brewing day went off with no problems.  I started off bringing my water up to a boil and then adding my DME and the first dose of hops at 60 minutes.  The second hop addition at 30 minutes and third was at 0 minutes.  At flame out I started cooling the wort and a short while later I was able to transfer it to the carboy and add yeast to ferment the wort.  I took a OG reading and it was 1.040 just about where the software said it would be.  I tasted the wort and was pleased it was slightly grainy with a nice citrus flavor to it.  So I am anticipating that it will turn out close to the original beer in taste.

It was a nice to have an opportunity to brew again and looking forward to doing a few more batches this summer.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment