Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Weyerbacher Heresy and La Trappe Quadrupel

At my favorite place in La Crosse, Bodega Brew Pub.  I have talked about this awesome beer bar before so I will not say more.  Tonight I had a couple new beers to me, here are my thoughts on them.

First Weyerbacher Heresy http://weyerbacher.com/blog/2010/02/heresy/ an Imperial Stout aged in a whiskey barrel.  I had it on tap, it pours black with a thin tan head.  Aroma is of chocolate, licorice, dark roast and coffee.  Taste is of all of the above with a slight hint of whiskey.  The body does become a bit thinner as the beer warms.  The beer checks in at 8.0% ABV, it is a wonderful beer that on a grade I would rate it as a "B".  If it had a bigger body it could of been an "A''.  This beer does a great job of hiding the alcohol that is in it.

Second beer is La Trappe Quadrupel http://www.latrappe.nl/content.asp?m=M7&s=P19&l=EN a Belgian Quad.  This is a Trappist Quad that is aged in oak barrels.  It checks in at 10.0 % ABV.  It pours a deep amber with a white head.  The aroma is at first peppery with malt and a slight sulfur note.  Taste is sweet caramel with a bit of candy sugar, only the alcohol offsets the sweetness.  The alcohol is very noticeable. It lacks the depth I would expect from a Belgian Quad.  It comes across a bit cloying and slightly medicinal from the alcohol.    I would rate it a "C+".   A nice Belgian Quad but not a favorite of mine.  If the alcohol was less noticeable and the beer was less sweet I would rank it higher.

QC Beerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment