Monday, July 11, 2011

Surly Schadenfreude and Lift Bridge Crosscut Pale Ale

Tonight I am reviewing a couple new beers to me, my editor told me I need do a few more beer reviews.

First up Surly Schadenfreude http://www.surlybrewing.com/beer/surly-beer-seasonal-beers.html as they describe it a German Style Dunkel Lager.  It is a dunkel aged on toasted MN oak, an interesting idea.  My overall impression is this is a good beer but not great.  It is a very dark brown if not black beer with a tan head.  Aroma wise it is malty sweet with a bit of chocolate.  Flavor wise the malt and chocolate carry through from the aroma, also strong oak comes through.  As the beer warms a smokiness becomes apparent.  Also the beer seems to become thinner as the beer warms.  As I said a good but not great beer, if you can find this beer get it to give it a try.

Second beer up is Lift Bridge Crosscut Pale Ale http://www.liftbridgebrewery.com/Crosscut_Pale_Ale.aspx an interesting pale ale. On the label they say it is brewed with grapefruit, at the web site they say brewed with grapefruit zest which makes more sense to me.  It is a deep gold beer with a white head.  The aroma is of cascade hops and malty sweetness.  The flavor is of strong grapefruit with a caramel sweet backbone.  As the beer warms it starts to develop a slightly bitter pith from the grapefruit.  It is a good American pale ale that you should look out for and find it and drink it.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment