Saturday, July 16, 2011

Old Thumper ESA and Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

My wife and I went to dinner with another couple Friday evening and decided on Cafe Indigo of which I have previously talked about.  The food was awesome as previously stated and they still have a very good beer list.  The waitstaff is excellent as well and the funny thing is one of the waiters recognized me from our last visit.  Tonight I wound up having three beers of which two I had not previously reviewed.

First up Old Thumper ESA http://www.shipyard.com/taste/ from Shipyard Brewing in Portland, ME, which my wife and I have visited when we were out in Maine a couple years ago.  In the name they use ESA standing for Extra Special Ale, as they describe it as a nontraditional English Bitter.  This beer pours amber with a good persistent white head.  Aroma is of caramel supported by some bready notes, with a touch of hop spiciness.  Flavor carries over from the aroma with some noticeable butteriness as you may suspect from an English Bitter.  This is a nice drinkable beer checking in at 5.9 % ABV, an interesting change the American Pale Ales and IPAs.  Grade wise I give it a "B".

Second beer was Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/beers/holy_grail_bottled_beer/  from Black Sheep Brewery in Masham England.  The beer pours medium copper with a white head.  Aroma is of malt sweetness supported by light fruity esters.  Flavor is much the same as the aroma with some slight buttery notes added in as you would suspect from an English Pale Ale.  Hops are subdued behind the sweet malt but are still present.  The beer checks in at 4.7% ABV, so this could be a session beer if so desired.  Another interesting English style beer. Grade wise I give it a "B+"

If you find either beer I would suggest giving them a try.  Also I would say to give Cafe Indigo a try if you have not been there.  They do a great job making you feel comfortable and important, you are truly a guest here.

Also I want to mention the Special Tapping at Great River today for their new beer Widespread Wit.  The festivities start at 2pm, with the golden keg at 1pm.  I am planning on meeting my wife and some friends there to try the new beer.  I'm looking forward to trying their take on a Belgian Wit.  Hope to see you there.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment