Saturday, March 26, 2011

Quite Night at Home

 Relaxing at home this evening with some pizza and a couple of beers.  First up Oasis from Tallgrass Brewing in Manhattan, Kansas.  The brewery states this is a Double ESB/ IIPA checking in at 7.2% ABV 93 IBU.  Pours copper with a off white head that is moderately lasting.  Aroma is of earthy, musty English hops.  Then some citrus and pine notes are in the background.  There is a substantial malt backbone that is of toffee and biscuit notes.  It leaves a tea like coating on the mouth which greatly cuts the enjoyment of the beer.  Overall I am not a fan of this beer and will not purchase in the future.  Now I have 3 more of these to drink sometime.  A learning experience on this beer, at the liquor store I bought it they told me it was along the lines of Surly Furious.  Not even close to me.

Next up Buffalo Sweat from Tallgrass Brewing.  Pours nice and dark more or less black with a tan head.  Aroma is of milk sugar and dark roast, quite pleasing.  Taste is of dark roast, coffee and a subtle chocolate.  Also a bit of peppery spiciness in the taste.  Finishes lightly sweet but it does not linger or is cloying.  It is nicely carbonated but could have a bit more body for my taste.  I do enjoy this beer and will gladly consume the three others cans I have of this beer.

I bought these two beer mainly because they came in cans.  You can look back to my blog on cans, "Everyone Likes it in the Can" for my thoughts on canned craft beer.  Also I had an interest in Tallgrass Brewing Company http://tallgrassbeer.com/index.html , because it is from Manhattan, Kansas the home of Kansas State University.  Which happens to be an arch nemesis to my wife's Alma Mater University of Kansas.  So I wanted to see if my wife is right and nothing good comes from Manhattan.  Well honey I hate to tell you at least on good thing does come from Manhattan, Buffalo Sweat.

QC Beerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment