Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Pet Peeve

OK I am going to rant on a pet peeve of mine.  Good restaurants that do not carry good beer or have a beer list.  I was reminded of this yesterday when my wife and I went to lunch at Johnny's Steakhouse in Moline, IL http://johnnysitaliansteakhouse.com/new/moline2/ .  No I did not have a beer with my lunch, but walking in to Johnny's set my wheels a turning.  Why do they not carry more craft beer and why do they not have a beer list.  They are quite proud of their wine list, but beer seems to be the red headed step child.  How hard is it to make up a beer list when the beers are never changed?  They have the average macro swill and their craft selections are typical Blue Moon and Sam Adams type beers.  Nothing as far as regional craft beers or really any imports above the typical Guinness and Harp.   Then you ask the waitstaff what beer they have and you receive the usually we have just about anything you want.  So I ask for something I know they do not have and then they rattle off the beers they do have.  It is a matter of choosing the beer that is least objectionable.  I am sure I am not the only person that has gone through this situation at this restaurant!  Each time it is like butting my head against a wall, because there is no change.  How can beer drinkers be treated like a person that actually matters?  Maybe next time you go in ask for a manager when you receive the typical answer and explain what your concern is?  Get up a walk out (now that is very extreme and the wife would not allow that)?  Not go there and find some where that does value beer drinkers?  I am unsure what is the proper answer.  Maybe some how the message will get through to the management at the restaurant, but I doubt that will happen.  I would be more than happy to advise them on quality beer to add to their selection that would be appropriate for steakhouse.  At least they should look at a wonderful beer and food book called " The Brewmaster's Table" by Garret Oliver, brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewing Co. http://www.garrettoliver.com/books.html, and they can maybe pick up some ideas there.

I hope good restaurants decide to improve their beer selections and actually act like they are proud of their beer selection.  Maybe beer drinkers can change the world one restaurant at a time.  Cheers!

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment