Monday, March 21, 2011

Des Moines Court Avenue Brewing

Back in Des Moines and felt like going somewhere I have not been to for a while Court Avenue Brewing Company (CABCO) http://www.courtavebrew.com/ and I was not disappointed.  This is a cool brewpub down in the Court Avenue District, know for its bar and restaurants in this area.  This is a usual downtown hang out for many of its young professionals.  Tonight however it was very slow, I walked in there were 3 other people sitting at the bar and they left within 30 minutes of me arriving.  I hope was not the cause. LOL

Since it has been a while since I had broke the doorway I figured I would start with the sampler, 8- 4 1/2 ounce samples for $15 not a bad deal.  The eight I had were: Two Rivers Light, Belgian White, La Peste, Dorchester Amber, Pointer Brown, Blackhawk Stout, 21st Amendment Ale and Infatuation Ale.  They were out of a couple of their regular beers Kaplan Hat Hefeweizen and Honest Lawyer IPA.  But the bartender gave me as a bonus taste the cask Irish Breakfast Stout.  All the beers were clean and did not have much for off flavors.  My least favorites were the Light and the Amber, both just did not taste right to me.  All of the others were quite tasty with my favorites being the Irish Stout and the La Peste, a strong Belgian Gold Ale.  The Infatuation was a blend of a dubbel and a Flemish brown brewed with raspberries.  I would suggest if you are unfamiliar with the microbrewery to grab a sampler, best way to try their beers.

The food menu has many appetizing options and I went with the bartenders recommendation a ordered a sausage and pepperoni pizza.  It was quite good!  Thin crisp crust which is made with their beer and lots of tasty toppings. 

The brewpub has two distinct areas the dining area and the bar area.  The bar is a little more homey and comfortable to me.  But if you are looking for a nice place to have a meal dine in the dining area.  This is a worthy brewpub. 

The brewer is a multiple award winner.  My wife and I were present the year he swept a category at the Wood and Barrel Aged festival in Chicago, needless to say he was happy.  He works his mastery with wood barrels, including Templeton Rye Barrels, which he used to make the 21st Amendment Ale.

When you are in Des Moines and have an opportunity to head downtown give CABCO a shot!

Cheers!

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment