Monday, March 7, 2011

Pville, WI Steve's Pizza

Well I'm back on the road and I find myself in Platteville, WI for the night.  I like Pville it is a nice little town in south west Wisconsin and in the heart of the Lead mining region that was a boom for the area in the 1820's.  Currently it is the home of UW Platteville and former summer home of The Chicago Bears, eat your heart of packer fans!  Also one other famous aspect to the town is the "M" on a mound outside of town, it is attended to by students from the mining college at the university.

Tonight I went to Steve's Pizza http://www.stevespizzapalace.com/ a new place for me in Platteville.  I sat in the portion of the building called "The Perfect Pint" an "Irish" themed area, though it was not really anything close to an "Irish" bar.  The redeeming factor to the Pint was the beer selection, which they boast on their website has over 100 different beers.  They have 11 taps from local craft brew, imports and of course the macrobrews.  My first beer which was on tap was Capital's Winter Skal http://www.capital-brewery.com/winterskal, a decent beer but not earth shaking good.  In my humble opinion Capital http://www.capital-brewery.com/ is one of the more overrated breweries in the US.  They make some really good beers but they are far from "America's #1 rated brewery", as they state on Facebook.  I do not even believe that they are the best in Wisconsin, let alone in the Madison area.

Ok back to Steve's.  I sat down at the bar and had to wait several minutes before I was even waited on, it seems that they do not have a dedicated bartender.  Once the young lady that seemed to be assigned to cover the bar came back I had as I said a Capital Winter Skal and ordered a carnivore 10" pizza.  The pizza took about 20 minutes, which is not bad for a true made from scratch pizza.  The pizza was good and filling.  As I was eating my pizza I ordered a bottle of Lake Louie's Kiss the Lips IPA http://lakelouie.com/, a nice mellow IPA.  It is a balance between malt and hops not overbearing in either way.  Nicely hoppy in both aroma and taste.  I would recommend this beer.

Once I finished my pizza and beers I sat and waited for over 5 minutes before what appeared to be the manager on duty noticed I was out of beer and was ready to go.  Overall I would go back to Steve's just because of the beer selection, by far the best I have seen in Pville.  Also the pizza was good and perhaps they were just understaffed this evening, so I will give Steve's another chance. 

Also as an aside UW Platteville has a brewpub in the Student Union.  I have not visited the brewpub since I do not want to be that "creepy old guy over in the corner".  LOL.  Maybe if I was with a group of people in Platteville during the school year I would visit the brewpub.

Just a heads up I will be in Dubuque, IA tomorrow night, if anyone knows of a good beer bar that serves food let me know.  I know of Busted Lift but I do not think they serve food.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment