Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Whistle Binkie's in Rochester

As I have said previously this is the beer bar in Rochester, MN,http://www.whistlebinkiespub.com/index.shtml if they don't have it can not be found.  So tonight I was able to have a couple new beers to me.  Yeah!

First up Myrcenary by Odell Brewing http://odellbrewing.com/beers/myrcenary a nice double IPA.  It reminds me some of Hopslam by Bell's.  The aroma is of citrus hops and good malty sweet backbone.  Taste was strong malt nicely offset by the northwest hops.  This is a nice beer that I would definitely have again.  The kicker is it is 9.30% ABV so this is no session beer.

My second new beer was Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/undercover.html , an American Strong Ale.  It checks in at 9.7% ABV so this is a sipper not a session ale.  Aroma is of the usual Northwestern variety of hops pine, citrus, etc. and also a strong brown malt character.  The taste is even better than the smell.  The hop charge is very assertive but the malt comes through to offset the hops.  This is a wonderful beer that I am very glad I just purchased a six pack of.

Besides the Lagunitas beer I also purchased Brooklyn Local 1 and 2 as well as an Abrasive Ale four pack from Surly.  The cool thing is I basically was able to get the Surly for a couple of bucks since I have a frequent buyers card with Apollo Liquors in Rochester.  Always take advantage of the liquor store's frequent buyer programs it pays off well.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment