Tuesday, May 24, 2011

El Bait Shop and a couple new beers

Last night I was in Des Moines and decided to go to some place familiar, so I went to El Bait Shop http://elbaitshop.com/.  As I walk in and head towards the bar to take a seat I am greeted by the bartender saying " Long time no see."  That made me feel pretty good that I was missed.  So I sat at the bar and asked what new beers they had.  He listed of several and I looked over at the taps and saw a different looking tap from Peace Tree.  So I asked if there was anything new from Peace Tree and he mentioned their Blonde Fatale http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21818/60168 which turned out to be a really nice Belgian style pale ale.  It was a hazy light yellow with noticeable citrus and Belgian character.  It was good as everything else made by Peace Tree.

It seems that Peace Tree has been doing everything correct to create a good name for theirselves.  While another Iowa brewery, Madhouse, that started about the same time seems to be doing everything wrong to create a negative name for theirselves.  It is shows that not every brewery's plans go correctly to create success.

My next new beer was Breckenridge's 72 Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout.  Which surprised me a bit since it was more than good, since I am not a big fan of Breckenridge's beers.  It pours black with a tan head, flavors of chocolate and roast predominate and it is just an all around easy drinking beer.

I had another good night at El Bait Shop, it is definitely worth a visit when you are in Des Moines.

The count down continues less than 48 hours until the Hydra tapping at Great River, 5pm Thursday.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment