Sunday, May 22, 2011

Update on the Ladies beer and GRBC tapping

Friday night three of the four ladies that brewed their first beer together on Big Brew Day got together at our house to split the batch and add blueberries to half.  My wife and I are keepers of the beer, but the ladies are doing all of the work.  After some socializing and burgers from the grill they went to work.  They heated up the blueberries from frozen to warm enough to kill bacteria and wild yeast.  Then they went down and created some magic by splitting the 5 gallon batch into half and adding blueberries to one half.  So now the beer is again sitting undisturbed in our basement aging and when ready it will be kegged.

They seem to be having a great time doing this and for the most part pleased with their beer.  A couple of small things are slightly detracting from their pleasure, the beer is darker than planned and it has a slight butter like taste to it.  Hopefully the yeast will do its job and reabsorb the butter like taste.  Overall though they are doing great for the first time brewing together.

On Saturday we did make it down to Great River for their special tapping of their Copper Ale.  As promised it was a good drinkable summer beer.  Which to me is a bit surprise since I would not think that of a copper colored ale.  To me a beer that color should be a bit more robust and not a summer thirst quencher, but it succeeds in its goal.

Also I was able to have a taste of the next beer being tapped on May 26th the Hydra Ale, which I was involved in brewing on big brew day.  I am pleased with the beer so far and can not wait to taste it on draft Thursday night!  The beer is light crisp, slightly grainy and has a slight citrus taste.  I think we nailed what we were trying to accomplish with the beer.  I hope everyone that can will come on down Thursday night for the tapping and hopefully the beer will be well received.

See you Thursday night!

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment