Friday, May 6, 2011

Ruffled Feathers

Back home tonight and kicking back and relaxing before the big day tomorrow.  What big day?  Big Brew Day of course, tomorrow I will be one of seven people having an opportunity to brew a beer on Great River's system.  I am totally looking forward to it.


My post yesterday ruffled at least on person's feathers, I was accused of being a beer snob.  Which I totally embrace, I am a Beer Snob and always will be one.  What I wrote about that was so heinous was the way I saw a couple people try and order a Chimay.  Well I still believe if you are going to order a beer you should know how to pronounce it.  Or do like I do if I can't pronounce it correctly I just point at the beer I want and if there is a word or two I know I can say correctly I say those to help out the bartender I am ordering from.  Of course not everyone will do this, some people will be like the guy in Chicago my friend 1T and I heard say it rather pompously like he knew better than everyone else.  Or like the guy last night that may have innocently said it incorrectly but ignorance is no defense.

To that point my friend 1T found this wonderful website that provides the pronunciations of Belgium beers http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pronounce/speak.html.  So if you want to brush up on your Belgian beers here is the website for you.  I am unsure if there are any other websites that offer pronunciations for other countries around the world, but I would suggest you just go hunt for the country's beers you are interested in.

Hope to see those who can make it down at Great River tomorrow for Big Brew Day.  Besides the seven of us on Great River's system there will be several members of MUGZ brewing as well.  There will be a range of systems there as well as extract to all grain brewers.  So if you can come for only a few minutes come on down and ask all the questions you want.

QC Beerguy

1 comment:

  1. Love the site you linked. Tell 1T to find a few other sites like that for the rest of the world's beers.

    Shaun

    ReplyDelete