Sunday, May 29, 2011

Great River and Blue Cat

Last evening we joined some friends down at Great River for a couple of beers and then went over to Blue Cat for dinner.  It was a nice relaxing night.  At Great River both my wife and I had a couple of the Hydra Ales.  This time it seemed that the Pils malt was really shinning through.  So maybe this beer is like a hydra and has seven heads to show each time a person has the beer.  Hopefully it will last long enough for me to have it seven times and experience each head.

After a couple at Great River we proceeded across the river to Rock Island and the Blue Cat.  Just a short wait and we were seated in the corner booth in the main dining area, first time I ever sat there and it was cool watching the people go by.  They were busy and the service was quick despite the activity.  I decide to try the RI Rye.  It was a light brown in color and had a white head.  The beer did not seem to have much spiciness like I would expect from a rye beer.  Maybe it is more of an American roggenbier,  where it is a mixture of rye and wheat malt to attain the desired beer.  Guess I will have to find out from the brewer what he was shooting for on this beer.

My wife had the Coriander and Orange, which is one of their light summer beers.  She said the orange really comes through, while on the couple sips I had the coriander was more pronounced to me.  So it is probably a combination of our two thoughts.  Any way it is a good beer to have on a warm summer evening, which was not last night as it was still a bit cool.

The food was good as usual.  They do take the word brewpub seriously.  They do try to present a good beer and good food to their patrons.  So all in all a good night.

To the members of MUGZ have a great meeting to day and see you all next month.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment