Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Whistle Binkies

I'm back in Rochester, MN so that means Whistle Binkies.  I go sit at the bar as usual and I am greeted by Jeremy.  He quickly tells me that they have a number of "new" beers in and he starts pulling out bottles of the "new" beers.  Next thing I know I am face to face with at least 8 bottles of beer.  I peruse my choices and decide on an interesting looking beer.

It is Certified Evil by Lucky Bucket Brewing out of La Vista, NE.  It pours deep brown with some ruby highlights and an off white head that is thin.  Upon further study I find out it checks in at 12.5% ABV, so needless to say this is a sipping beer.  The label explains that this ale is brewed with brown sugar, raisin juice, molasses, cardamon and orange peel aged in wine casks.  It is called a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, which is easy to understand because this beer is peppery and spicy.  Interestingly though it is a very complex beer from a brewery that I am unfamiliar with but this beer is a keeper.

My second beer was Twilight Summer Ale by Deschutes Brewing.  This is a 5% ABV blond/golden ale.  I must say this is a really good lawnmower beer.  First thing I notice are the hops and after reading the bottle I see it is brewed with Amarillo hops.  It is a nice slightly malty beer with some hints of citrus.  It also has some biscuity notes to it as well.  This is a nice easy drinking beer. I would recommend this one as a thirst quencher, so drink up.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment