Sunday, June 5, 2011

Granite City Davenport, IA

Friday night my wife and I joined some friends at Granite City in Davenport.  They were sitting out on the patio when we joined them.  Their waiter came over and asked us what we wanted to drink, I ordered the Belgian Wit and my wife the Dunkelweizen.  He asked if we were mug club members, I produced my card and he asked my wife if she had hers.  We were both taken a back by this since every other time we have been in Granite City my card was more than good enough to get mugs for both of us.  When we commented on that he said "We no longer do that, but I will take care of it for you."  Strike One!

We received our beers and the Wit was not to style but was tasty anyway.  It had a pronounced banana taste very reminiscent  of a German Hefeweizen.  The Dunkel was just way too cold to get much flavor out of at first.  As it warmed there were some malting sweetness, but very little wheat character.  We also ordered a pepperoni flat bread pizza, which was very good.  We both ordered a second beer, my wife a Northern Light and I went with the Dunkel.  My wife took a few minutes to finish her first beer after the second beer was brought.  When she went to drink the beer she was quickly repulsed by the smell and taste.  I swear they brought out a Heineken it was so skunky.  Once we flagged down the waiter she asked if she could switch since the Northern was so skunky.  He said sure and so my wife ordered a bock.

After a few minutes one of the managers came over to discuss the concern my wife had with the beer.  Good thing my wife, our friends and I all know good beer, because the manager was very confrontational.  She was doing everything but accusing my wife of not knowing what she was talking about. My wife said she had a bad beer.  The manager recited  all the quality checks they do on the beer and I believe expected my wife to back down and apologize for not knowing beer.  Which my wife did not and threw down the trump card of her husband, me, being a beer judge and when she said it was a bad beer, it is a bad beer.  The manager basically just quit talking and thanked my wife.  The manager in no way attempted to comp us for the beer and really even apologize.  Strike Two!!  Good managers do not confront or belittle the customer if you want to keep the customers business.

So I believe my wife is going to contact Granite City's Corporate office to she if she can receive some satisfaction, which I agree with her totally.  Hopefully they will reply to her and not ignore her.  Otherwise it will be Strike Three and You're Out!!!   Which would be a bit of a shame since Granite City does have really good food.

QC Beerguy   

No comments:

Post a Comment