Monday, June 13, 2011

Hessen Haus Des Moines, IA

I am back in Des Moines and felt like trying somewhere new, so I went to the Hessen Haus http://www.hessenhaus.com/the_wall.php.  I am very glad I decided to go here this evening.  Not that I am really sure that this is a true version of a German beer hall, but it sure blows away the Bier Stubbe in the Quad Cities.  They have over 30 taps, almost all German, and well over 100 bottles and the tap beer is fresh not old and stale like some places I have been.  They had beers both on tap and in the bottle that I had never heard of.  Just some of the new to me beers were Sunner Kolsch, Grieskirchner Joger Weisse and Monchshof Schwarzbier.  They have a good food menu that includes many German dishes, but yet it gives the non-German food eater enough to chose from as well. 

The building overall is a glorified shed, possibly a train station in a prior life.  It is not much wider than 30 feet but it is a long building overall.  The inside is covered with wood and has exposed beams.  Every where you look there is something to remind you that you are in a German beer hall.  There are many Paulaner mini-kegs, many different German advertising tins, ceramic beer mugs and the true showcase German beer mugs.  To me it feels homey and German at the same time.

They have posters for upcoming and weekly events.  Each Sunday they pour $5 liters of Stella, which would make my wife very happy.  Also they had a poster up for the Des Moines Oktoberfest on Sept. 24-25th, which might be fun.  Plus they do $3 shots of Jager if a train goes by after 3pm.  So they know how to have fun with their customers.

Needless to say if you are in Des Moines and looking for a good selection of German beers this is the place.

In going to Hessen Haus I was exposed to a few people butchering the beer names again and I tried really hard not to judge the people, but I did not succeed.  Especially when the boyfriend of one of the waitresses asked for an "Airdinger" hefe, unless I am truly mistaken he was trying to say ER- dinger hefe.  Another brewery name butchered was Ayinger, which is pronounced I-inger.  I'm sure I will be scolded again because I am being a beer snob, but I do not care.  If you can not pronounce the beer do not say it!  Do as I do make a joke of it by saying" I am going to butcher this name, but I want...." and say the name while pointing to it on the beer menu.  OK that is off my chest.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment