Friday, June 10, 2011

Bodega Brewpub La Crosse, WI

Per my usual when I am in La Crosse I make my way to Bodega Brewpub, this is a really awesome beer bar that just blows you away when you first enter the place.  As I have said before the have around 16 taps and probably 300 + bottles.

So I go in on Wednesday evening and the place is not overly busy so I am able to go right up to the bar and find a seat.  I glance around at the selection of tap beers and see Duchesse, Old Curmudgeon,  Abita Select, Hopalioucis and other interesting beers.  I order my first beer the Duchesse De Bourgogne a wonderful sour beer.  I still remeber my first time I had an opportunity to drink this beer. I went shopping with some friends and this was one of the beers we purchased at John's Grocery in Iowa City.  I think we left with almost $300 worth of beer.  We then went to my friend's house and proceeded to drink the beers we purchased.  When the three of us took our first sip of this beer it was awful to us, tasting like blood, so we wound up dumping most of a 750 ml bottle.  Thankfully my tastes have changed and I am able to enjoy this beer now.

So as I am drinking my beer and John, the manager at Bodega, sits down next to and we carry on a good conversation.   About what beers they have had since I was last there, just around a month ago, and what beers they will be having on tap soon.  Let me just say they always are changing beers that are on tap and usually the beers on tap are outstanding.  Probably in their main tap area only Guinness and Franziskaner Hefe are the only taps that do not change.  From what I remember John telling me they will be some outstanding beer coming on tap in the near future.


Next beer up was Old Curmudgeon a wonderful old ale from Founder's Brewing.  This is a sipping beer checking in at 9.8% ABV.  It is wonderfully complex and malty.  Plus it comes from a favorite brewery of mine.

Also had a taste of the Abita Select, which they say is a double IPA.  Well it is an IPA not sure about the double part and not blown away by the beer overall. If you have choices for a double IPA I would say choose something else.

Bodega is just one of those places that you find along your way and can't believe your good fortune.  If you are in La Crosse go straight to Bodega do not go to any other bar in town!

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment