Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Whistle Binkies / a couple new beers

Last night I stayed over in Rochester, MN so I went to my usual place Whistle Binkie's  http://www.whistlebinkiespub.com/index.shtml a really good beer bar here in Rochester.  Each night they have a special for that night on Monday night's they have Mystery Beer Night.  This is when they put the names of their bottled beers in a hat and you choose a name.  Once you made your choice you have an option to take the beer or order something else at full price.  The mystery beers are only $2 a beer, so it is fun to see what you get and it is not a large investment if you chose a beer you are unfamiliar with.

My first try I had pulled out Fat Tire, so I took my option and chose another beer, since I dislike Fat Tire.  I ordered a Gold Sovereign Ale from Summit Brewing http://www.summitbrewing.com/brews/gold-sovereign-ale .  I was quite happy with the choice it was a very easy drinking English style Pale Ale.  One surprising thing to me was that it was made with 100 % organic malt.  I my past experiences I have not enjoyed organic beers, to me they just do not have the same taste and body as non-organic beers.

So after I finished my first beer I tried my luck again with a mystery beer and this time pull out a beer more to my liking, Woody Creek Belgian White from Flying Dog Brewery http://flyingdogales.com/beers/ .  This is a good American version of a Belgian Wit, clean and refreshing.  Also the orange and coriander come through in the aroma and taste.  This is several steps above Blue Moon, but it is not as good as the true Belgian Wits that I have had.  So I was pleased with the beer and if this was a choice I would definitely chose it over Blue Moon and no I did not have an orange slice with it.  There was no need to garnish the beer with an orange slice.

QC Beerguy

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alan, Next time you are out in MN could you get me some Surly? Or Toppligh Goliath.
    I'm enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete