Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Good Weekend

My wife and I had a good fun weekend with some friends.  On Friday night we went to a wine tasting put on by Hy-Vee in Davenport.  The wine tasting had over 100 wines, a few beers and even some premium liquors.  We met some of our friends at the event and enjoyed the tasting and socializing with our friends.  We purchased 5 bottles of wine for ourselves.  The proceeds went to our favorite charity the American Red Cross of the Quad Cities.

During the day Saturday my wife decided to invite the same friends we went to the wine tasting with to come over for a beer tasting.  So the six of us gathered at our house and had a great night of conversation and tasting.  We all supplied some beer to share with everyone else.  The night started off with some lighter craft brew but we worked our way up to some more complex beers.  Some of the highlights included 4 Scottish themed beers that included beers made with gooseberries, heather, elderberry and a scotch pine.  Also we had a couple good smoked beers a Dopplebock and a Imperial Stout. Plus I found a new chocolate beer for my wife, she loves light beers with chocolate in them, from Boulevard Brewing http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/chocolate-ale

The biggest disappointment of the night was a Dogfish 120 from 2009.  I remembered when I purchased the bottles and drank one right away I thought it was overly sweet.  So I brought a bottle out for everyone to have a sample of last night.  The beer was even sweeter than what I remembered, it is now more of a barelywine than an Imperial IPA.  Yes I expected some of the hops to drop out but not this much, there were none to be found.  Now I have one more Dogfish 120 from that year to drink somewhere in the future. 

Well I will be on the road again with stops in Des Moines, Ft. Dodge and Cedar Rapids.  If anyone knows of a place in Ft. Dodge that serves good beer and good food let me know.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment