Monday, February 28, 2011

Stranded in Freeport, IL

Some of you may remember the song "Stranded in Iowa", well that is a bit how I am feeling this evening.  I'm in Freeport Illinois tonight and I am a beerguy without beer!  There is no place in this town that has a decent beer selection, let alone a decent food menu.

I am very disappointed in Freeport.  They claim to have been settled by German immigrants.  To celebrate that heritage the are " The Pretzel City"  and the high school team is called the Pretzels.  To go even further there is a story that the high school team  was to actually called the "Beermasters"  have no proof of this but this would fit with the German heritage. 

Needless to say if a town is founded by German immigrants and they take pride in their German heritage this would lead one to believe that there would be BEER here, but alas no beer.  I am sure that there have been numerous breweries in Freeport and at times there should have been a few decent beer bars.  Currently there are neither! 

My big night out was to Applebee's for dinner and a couple of Sam Adams, nothing special.  Well can't always have a worthy beer bar in every town I go to, but I don't expect to have no options.

QC Beerguy

1 comment:

  1. Eilert's Tee Box and Cocktail has over 60 different beers to choose from. The food menu is not the most diverse but they have the best selection in town.

    ReplyDelete