Tuesday, February 22, 2011

La Crosse. WI Bodega Brewpub

I find myself in La Crosse this fine night.  When I am here I go to Bodega Brewpub http://www.bodegabrewpublax.com/ this is by far the beer bar in La Crosse.  They have 18 taps and one is dedicated to New Glarus Belgian Red, only bar I know of to have it on tap permanently!  Also they have 360 to 370 beers in the bottle.  Do I need to go on to give this bar its props, didn't think so. 

What can I say this is the place to go when in La Crosse!  I plan on bringing my wife and friends to this place.  The bar staff is great!  John, the manager is a fun surly person once you get to know him.  Also Ben and Katie have learned from John if they see you more than once you are a regular and they need to treat you better.  Needless to say I have become a regular.  It is so ridiculous how quickly they learn your preferences! 

So this is a great beer bar, equal to almost any in the Midwest I have been to including the Map Room and the Muddy Pig.  Plus they serve some really good sandwiches, in the true sandwich shop type sandwiches.  One of my favorites is the Cubano minus the mustard and the pickles.  Besides sandwiches they have some good flat bread pizzas.

Tonight I had some great beers!  These included the Fish Tale Winter IPA and Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout.  Also I had tasters of a couple double IPAs.  They will always let you try a taster of a tap beer before you buy it.  They want you to be satisfied with your beer when you pay for it.  They always have a great selection of Wisconsin brews, meaning New Glarus http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/ and Capital http://www.capital-brewery.com/ .
 
I happily came upon by accident a Goose Island http://www.gooseisland.com tasting at Bodega.  This was run by the local Goose Island Rep.  He had one of the most wonderful beers I ever had a Matilda gone wild.  It was an accidental beer that got away  from the brewer and went sour.  This accidental on off beer is one of the greatest beers I ever had, unfortunately it is not available to the average beer drinking public. 

I can not stress how much this is a great beer bar!  There is unfortunately some bad history between Bodega and Pearl Street Brewing http://www.pearlstreetbrewery.com/ so Pearl Street is not carried at Bodega.  Pearl Street does make some good beer so give it a try.

I am a Bodega regular and Damn proud of it!  This is a beer bar worthy of a major city such as Chicago but hidden away in La Crosse.  John  the manager is your typical over educated bar manager, that I am so jealous of because I want to be him!  When ever you make it to La Crosse search out Bodega and you will not be sorry!

 QC Beerguy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, Alan! Next time you stop in, please ask if Jeff is around and I'd be happy to get you a beer and a san'ich. And shoot the breeze. Good travels!

    ReplyDelete