Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Rochester, MN Whistle Binkies Olde World Pub

Do not let the name fool you about this place.  It is anything but odd like the name would lead some one to believe.  This is another great beer bar I have found on my travels.  Whistle Binkies has two locations in Rochester, http://www.whistlebinkiespub.com/index.shtml , one on the northside and the other on the southside of town.  The location I went to first and like the best is the north location, from the outside it is located in a strip mall, but inside it is a restaurant with bar seating that at times seems to be on its own wait list for a seat.  When I go I do find a seat at the bar which can easily seat 25 people and the restaurant can easily seat 150 people with a side room that has a fireplace and a few couches as well as tables.  Whistle Binkies is a friendly place soon after sitting down a conversation is able to be struck up with those sitting around you.

The menu is extensive and basically anyone can find something to eat.  As far as the beer, this place is heaven.  Eighteen taps, including a semi-permanent tap of Surly's Furious Ale http://www.surlybrewing.com/.  Also they have a multiple page beer menu, that includes at least 300 beers from all around the US and all over the world.  If you can not find a beer here it is your own fault.

I have been here enough to become a recognized face to the bar staff.  This does have some benefits, they let me know of special beers new on tap or they know what I like and point me in a direction when I am having trouble deciding on a beer.  Also they let me know of upcoming beers that might be of interest to me.

I can not say enough positive things about this place.  When you find yourself in Rochester this is the place to go!  Tonight I had a great Ham and cheese sandwich and some really wonderful beers.  The first beer I had was Surly's Abrasive Ale, a great beer.  This is a DIPA and has a lot of citrus hop aroma and flavors, I love it.  Next I had Hairy Eyeball from Lagunitas Brewing Company in California http://www.lagunitas.com/home.html.  This beer is a rich thick hoppy American Strong Ale, as they say on the bottle this ain't no sipping beer, drink like it could be your last beer.

You may come into Whistle Binkies as a stranger but you will leave it with some new friends!  This is the place to go when you are in Rochester!  I was able to stop here with my wife and friends on our way up to judge at UMMO the end of last month, everyone was blown away by Whistle Binkies!!

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment