Saturday, February 2, 2013

QC Nano beers

In the past week I had the opportunity to try beer from both of the nanobreweries that are working on getting up and running in the QC.  At our most recent MUGZ meeting one of our members was able to secure a bottle of each of the Wormburner beers.  Since Wormburner is not open yet these were secured without any exchange of money.  To find out more information on Wormburner you can visit their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/WormburnerBrewCo?ref=ts&fref=ts.  Also another blog has a bit more  information about Wormburner http://franklyfoodblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/wormburner-brewing-company-of-davenport.html?m=1.  Check out both.

Now onto the beer.  Unfortunately I was not the only one trying these beers and I only had an ounce or two so my description and review will be brief.  If I am able to secure more I may be able to do a more thorough review.  First up was Smooth Operator: Iowa Pale Ale.  It was a hazy orange gold with a white head.  The aroma was of citrus hops and was clean otherwise.  Taste was a nice malt and hop mixture that was clean from off flavors.  The beer did seem to be a bit light in the body and to me could be bulked up a bit.  Overall it was a good beer.  Second was Dark Side of the Moon: Belgian Ale.  It was a deep golden color with a white head.  Aroma was of citrus and spices with hints of Belgian characteristics.  My friend that brought the beer mentioned that he was told this beer was best served with a slice of orange, which we did not have.   The body seemed close to what you would expect from a beer like Blue Moon.  Again sorry for the brief review, maybe I can do a more thorough review if I score a couple bottles.

Last Wednesday our friend Rich Nunez, brewer and co-owner of Against the Grain Brewery and Alehouse, tapped his first test batch.  To find out more information on Against the Grain visit their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Against-the-Grain-Brewery-Alehouse/445902535438203?ref=ts&fref=ts.  His first offering was a Belgian Witbier.  My wife and I had to share the last 6 ounces from the keg, so again my review will be a bit shy on details.  The beer was a light hazy yellow with a good white head.  The aroma was of orange and spices with a hint of wheat and spicy notes from the yeast.  Taste was pleasant and included orange and various spices.  The beer had a medium body.  We were pleased with the beer and would of been happy to have a full glass each. Maybe next time.  The beer lasted just over a hour, not bad for seven gallons.  I am looking forward to batch two and may have to be present at the time of tapping to make sure I receive a full sample.

I am pleased to say that both of the nano-breweries seemed to be heading in the right direction.  If these quick tastes of their beer means anything they will be great additions to the QC beer scene.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment