Friday, February 8, 2013

Another new glass?

As many of you may have noticed, there is a new glass designed for an IPA, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/garden/designing-an-ipa-specific-beer-glass.html?_r=3& .  This latest addition to "must have" glassware was designed by Sam Calagione of Dogfishead and Ken Grossman of Sierra Nevada in conjunction with Spiegelau, a German glassmaker.  I guess if anyone should design an IPA specific, this group would be toward the top of my list to do it.  They have forgotten more about IPAs than most people would ever learn in their lifetime.  I am just unsure if it is actually needed.

If you are like my wife and I, we have more than enough glassware all ready between all of the tasting, pint and various other glasses we have in our cupboards.  I do believe that many beers are glorified by the glass they are served in, whether it be a Belgian Ale, Hefeweizen or a stout.  So I understand that a prevalent style like an IPA could be better served in a specific glass.  But come on, we only have so much cupboard space.

Yes we did purchase the glasses that Sam Adams designed to better enjoy their beer and it yes it does seem to better present the beer to the drinker.  So the idea of designing a glass for a beer is not foreign, but really is it needed?  In a roundabout way I guess it is.  And yes I will probably fork over the $25 for a pair of them and add them to our glassware collection.

All I have to say is "Please no more specifically designed glassware"  my cupboards can not take any more glassware.

QC Beerguy

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! My cabinet, much to my wife's chagrin, is crammed with beer, wine, and cocktail glasses. But like you, I'll probably buy one!

    ReplyDelete