Saturday, February 16, 2013

Bottom fill cup

I had been hearing a few people talk about a bottom fill beer cup and had the opportunity Friday night to see it in action.  Our local event center has switched over to these beer cups to serve Bud Light beer.  My wife and I went with some friends to see our local minor league hockey team play and it was $1 beer night.  Which meant that a cup of Bud Light for a $1, so my wife and I decided to go for it.

We walked to the beer line and waited our turn. While in line we observed the filling of the cups.  The cup is placed down on what almost looks like a sprinkler head and the cup is filled for the bottom up.  Also we noticed that once the cup was full the filler automatically stopped.  Once it was our turn we ordered our beers.  As our beers were being filled my wife chatted up the beer vendor about the beer cups.

We found out that the cups have two magnets in them, the magnet bottom and a magnet ring embedded in the cup itself.  The cups are any thing but perfect, we noticed a few leakers that did not seal properly.  Our beer vendor told us that if the cup does not come with the magnet they save them and get their money back.  These bottom fill cups are a cool invention, but I am unsure if they will actually catch on without revisions.  Namely for me a stronger seal on the bottom between the magnets, several times last night I dripped on my clothes because I inadvertently broke the seal between the magnets by tapping the bottom of the cup.  I am sure they are already working on that concern.  Here is the website to find more out about this new invention http://bottomsupbeer.com/ .

QC Beerguy

1 comment:

  1. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I strive for constant improvement and without honest feedback that would be much harder.

    Unfortunately you experienced our 12oz cup that many venues choose to use for $1.00 beer nights. they don't want to use our much better (same price) 16oz cup for fear that the customer will complain about not having a full cup when it only has the 12oz in it...

    As a start-up we had to go to market by converting an existing vessel into our product. As the market demand grew we were able to invest in new molds/machinery to make what I have been drawing on a napkin since day one. The market demand for a 12oz cup was so small it didn't warrant the VERY large investment in that size of cup at the time.

    We currently make a 16, 20 & 24oz purpose built bottoms up cup. They are MUCH higher quality than the cups we had to start with. They are a higher mill plastic, have a raised bottom (keeps wayward fingers out of the bottom), and have a steel (same material as a soup can) ring that is crimped in the bottom so the sealing surface is not dependent on the bottom of the cup being flat.

    If you message me your address I would love to send you a sample of the new cup as well as a t-shirt for your troubles.

    Bottoms Up,

    Josh Springer
    President & Founder
    GrinOn Industries

    ReplyDelete