Thursday, May 3, 2012

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

I have had the pleasure to have a couple of beers from Toppling Goliath and have been very impressed with them.  For those of you that are unfamiliar with Toppling Goliath http://www.tgbrews.com/site/ I will help you become a bit more familiar with them.  It is a microbrewery in Decorah, IA with a tap room, so you can go to the source and try their beers.  Their motto seems to be "Big Beers Brewed in Small Batches".  They distribute their beer in North East Iowa predominately with a handle full of locations in the LA Crosse, WI area.  From the website it looks as if they currently only distribute by the keg, they are hoping to be bottling sometime this summer.  They have 5 core beers with many seasonals, a Hop Patrol Series and a few barrel aged beers.  So I am sure that they produce a beer that will meet everyone's likes.

I came across Toppling Goliath's beers at Bodega Brewpub http://www.bodegabrewpublax.com/ in La Crosse, WI.  John, the manager of Bodega, a few months ago mentioned that Toppling Goliath would be doing a tap take over at Bodega.  Unfortunately for me I was not in town when that happened, but fortunately for me the tap take over was a success and since then Bodega has had beers on tap from Toppling Goliath (TG). 

The first TG beer I had was Golden Nugget, an IPA 6% ABV 56 IBUs.  It poured golden yellow with a dense white head.  The aroma was of floral and citrus hops and the taste added a good malt backbone to offset the floral and citrus hop flavors.  It is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.  Overall it was a very good and lively IPA.

The second TG beer I had was Biter Double IPA, they do not list ABV, but say it has 154 IBUs.  With six different hops used int this beer it is a hop heads dream, I know I sure liked it.  It poured a deep gold with a dense with head.  They aroma is of hops and more hops.  This beer bucks the trend of having pronounced garlic or catty hop aroma in DIPAs.  A strong malt backbone equals out the hops in the flavor.  Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.  The beer became better as it warmed and I greatly enjoyed the beer.

Needless to say that after enjoying two of TG's beers I look forward to trying more beers from Toppling Goliath.  Maybe even some day I can find my way to Decorah to tapping room to try even more of their beers.  Hopefully as they grow they will find their way to some of the beer fests in Iowa and Wisconsin so more people can enjoy their beers.  I suggest that if you have a chance to try a Toppling Goliath beer give it a chance.

QC Beerguy


No comments:

Post a Comment