Thursday, February 9, 2012

Time for something familiar

Every now and then I find my self just wanting a familiar beer or beer style for an enjoyable quaff.  Not that I do not enjoy the quest for those beers or beers styles that are extreme, different, hard to find or just down right odd.  Sometimes just kicking back and relaxing with a beer near and dear to my heart and palate can be as big of a thrill as finally cracking open a bottle of that rare Imperial Stout, Double IPA or that special Sour beer I have been searching for.  Even a run of the mill every day beer can be an adventure unto itself.

I came to these thoughts while I was enjoying my dinner with a personal favorite of mine, Schmaltz's Alt from August Schell Brewing http://www.schellsbrewery.com/ourbeers_info.php?id=9.  This is to me a wonderfully malty, slightly chocolatey alt beer, that I enjoy while it is in season.  Another "comfort" beer to me is Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=93fe771b-3f68-4b4d-8de8-ebf83f9bff4e, another seasonal beer that I enjoy every time I have it.

I am sure that even the most intrepid beer explorer has to put their quest on hold to cleanse their palate and mind with an enjoyable "comfort" beer.  These time outs can be a great way to refocus and reevaluate what beers you are looking for.  The "comfort" beer does not need to be something exciting to anyone but yourself.  When the urge arises do not fight it go with the flow and have that very familiar, enjoyable "comfort" beer.  I know I am looking forward to later this year when I have my Dumbass  Kolsch on tap and I can just sit back and enjoy a couple of pints.

After I have quenched my desire for something familiar, I find I enjoy those new exciting beers even more.  So if you feel you have hit a wall in your quest, stop and enjoy a few "comfort" beers and refocus on your quest.  Then go out and hunt down those beers you desire.

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment