Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Everybody Has One, Gateway Beer that is.

I know when I was in college and at my fraternity I drank pretty much AB products, Bud, Bud Light and Busch, with the occasional Miller or Miller Lite.  I had a friend that was a Phi Sig and their house beer was Old Style, since they were mainly from Chicagoland and that was a nasty hangover the next day after the uptown party.  So as you can see in college I drank mainly mass produced beer.  Until the import craze finally hit Macomb, IL in my senior year.  I found the exotic taste of Corona with a lime stuffed in it; yes this was my gateway beer. 
What exactly is a gateway beer you may be asking?  Well a gateway beer is the beer that made the connection for you to good craft or import beer.  It can be as complacent as Corona or something as exciting as Pliny the Elder.  The gateway beer is the beer that opened the door to enjoying good beer.  It may or may not be a good beer itself; it just leads you to find good beer.  So don't worry that beer is not something you may be proud of, just look at mine.  Corona, really?
 Everyone probably has that beer that made the connection for them.  Some people are still waiting to find their gateway beer.  I have friends that probably will never find a gateway beer and will continue to drink their Busch Light.   As I grow in my beerself, I have learned not to judge them.  It has become a bit of a challenge to find a gateway beer for them.  Like my neighbor across the street. My wife and I found out that he loves a good Kolsch, even though by choice he does buy Busch Light. 
If you have or have not found your gateway beer, as Charlie says "Relax and have a homebrew", or in other words it is all good.  There is no need to hurry and find that beer to be your gateway beer.  If you are still drinking one of the mass produced beers you still have time to find your gateway beer.
It is no big deal if you are still drinking one of the mass produced beers.  I know there are many craft or import beers that will give you the taste of your mass produced beers.  The best way to find a gateway beer is just try a beer that is outside of your ordinary repertoire!

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment