Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Grand Canyon Sunset Amber Ale and Horseshoe Bend Pale Ale

I received a couple beers from Arizona from Grand Canyon Brewing Company in Williams, AZ http://www.grandcanyonbrewingco.com/ brought back to me by my daughter and mother-in-law.  I only have a bottle of each due to an accidental drink of 4 beers of the six pack by my wife's uncle, oh well no biggie!  I still will enjoy drinking these two beers.

First up Sunset Amber Ale, it pours a light amber with a light tan head that is moderate lasting in length.  The beer is crystal clear, guessing that means it is filtered.  Aroma is a soft caramel sweetness complemented by a slight graininess with a hint of piney hops as well.  Taste is slightly sweet caramel with a bit of huskiness and noticeable hop presence.  The beer seems to be a bit thin bodied, not as much body as I would expect from this style of beer.  The beer is 5.4% ABV.  I like this beer as well it is from a really cool area of the country.  For a grade I give it a "C+".  A nice beer to drink but there are better beers out there of this style.

Second up Horseshoe Bend Pale Ale, its pours a light orange hue with a white head that dissipates after a couple of minutes.  Again crystal clear, filtered again?  Aroma is grainy and malty sweet, hops are in the background not hoppy as I would expect from an American Pale Ale.  Taste is predominately of sweet malt with a noticeable Cascade hop presence.  It is medium bodied bordering on light bodied, a bit thinner than anticipated.  This is a beginner's APA, one that the American Larger drinker can drink.  I would give this beer a "C-".  Not what I would expect from an APA, I need more hops and more body, Please!

I am very pleased that I received these two beers as a gift from Arizona and had an opportunity to try them.  Even better would be to have the chance to go to Grand Canyon Brewing Company and try these beers fresh from the tap.  When I make it to the Grand Canyon, Grand Canyon Brewing Company is a must stop for us!

QC Beerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment